Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Going Organic

Our family is on a quest - a quest for health. In that, we've decided to go organic and pursue weight loss through a program our chiropracters in Texas recommended. Switching over to all organic has been an interesting journey, and frankly, it has not been easy. Here in North Carolina there are not as many organic shopping outlets as we had in Texas. Oh, how I dream of the day that Whole Foods will open a Charlotte location. The nearest WF now is an hour and a half North of here in Winston Salem.

Our grocery budget seems to be "through the roof" right now. We're replacing spices and staples in our pantry with organic alternatives. Finding those requires trips to several stores - being that NO store carries everything that I need in its organic form. What used to be a quick stop at Sams or Costco + a trip to WalMart or SuperTarget now requires additional stops at several other markets to pick up what the other grocery stores didn't have.

On a lighter note, I did find an organic farm only 3 miles away from us. Time will tell on this one. We paid $150.00 for 5 weeks' of organics. This time of year, it's "iffy" for us. In my grocery bag picked up from the farm last week were a small bunch of tiny carrots, 2 bags of mustard greens, 2 other bags of unidentified greens, a little bunch of rosemary, and a small bunch of lettuce. Can I help it if I'm craving juicy tomatoes, squash, corn & cantelope? Eating in season isn't all it's cracked up to be!

This is a learning experience for us. Because I'm cooking a LOT more, it seems as if our lives REVOLVE around food prep, eating, and clean up. I'm sure this will change as I learn new routines. I'm beginning to experiment with grinding my own grain for baking bread, although I have to confess the first rolls I made were like hockey pucks - yuck! I'm told that I need to find a source for soft wheat berries so I can make pastry flour which should negate the "hockey puck" effect. We'll see!

All in all, it's a good thing for us. I can visualize our family healthy, at normal weight, and whole! God is good!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Kara Dixon said...

Welcome to blogging! I am so looking forward to reading more!

November 12, 2008 at 6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home